Welcome to My Professional Blog
Hello! My name is Joseph Schmidt and I am a Choral & General Music Education Major here at UWM. Along with pursuing a BFA in Choral & General Mus Ed, I am also pursing a Minor in Theatre. I have been involved with music and theatre in some capacity for a large part of my upbringing and all of my adult life. My reasoning behind pursuing this specific career path is due too the career possessing many qualities and subjects that I have always been passionate about, such as music, working with children, directing and teaching.
As an undergrad student who hasn't had the full experience of teaching yet, my goals aren't radically ambitious yet since some of my main goals are to just get a job and not be too overwhelmed right away. Other than those few things, my goals entail teaching at a diverse and well rounded school where music is taken very seriously and is considered an important part of student development and curriculum. I would also very much like to have multiple extracurricular music groups such as a madrigal ensemble, show choir filled with passionate students who strive to use their passions and talents to express themselves and represent their communities the best they can.

https://music.usc.edu/four-effective-music-teaching-strategies-for-todays-diverse-classrooms/
Hi Joseph,
ReplyDeleteI totally relate to your goals of getting a job and don't get too overwhelmed. Once I get those down I'll start working towards more ambitious goals. I am not a musician at all, but I love music so much so I think it's so cool to see people who are musicians becoming teachers and trying to instill that musical passion in their students. There are too many people these days who don't see the value in music anymore and I think it can be such an important part of a kid's education!
Joseph,
ReplyDeleteTo pursue your passion for music is great! Especially if you want to become a music teacher you need to come across with that sense of devotion and interest in your field! Music has so much to offer, there is not a day I listen to music when I walk, when I cook, when I study! I like your idea to teach extra-curricular music classes, I think for youth these after school classes make a big difference, they may find their passion or something else...
Joseph,
DeleteJust that you know my name is Noa Levin, I left the comment above, for some reason my name did not show up, oh well, myterious technology!
Hello!
ReplyDeleteVery neat that you are so passionate for the Arts! I was in the Arts my entire K-12 career, and it was driven by passionate, dedicated, and teachable educators who helped me improve my current self to be so much better! I did band for a bit as a flute player, played piano since I was 7, and I was in choir all the way through college. All of these involved a specific teacher that really inspired me to be the best I can be--even to this day!
I believe if you are extremely dedicated to understanding your student's abilities and creating an individualized plan to advance them, you are going to be an amazing teacher for your students to look up to their whole lives!
Hey Joe,
ReplyDeleteHappy to have a class with you once again, only this time with less abstract film analysis. I knew you had a love of theatre like I do but I did not know you were doing a theatre minor. That's really cool and probably a great experience. I am a bit jealous, I do miss acting sometimes. I really like your career goals, yes they are not crazy but they are well intended. I like that you want such a focus on music in your school. As someone who went to a high school like this is really added to my enjoyment and fulfillment day to day.